It’s a cold winter night. Throw on your furry slippers and warmest PJs and cozy up to this hearty treat. Dining solo? Divide it into smaller casseroles and freeze what’s left.
- For the potatoes:
- 4 to 5 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- ¾ cup to 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- For the filling:
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups crumbled tempeh or 2 cups cooked lentils
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- ½ cup frozen peas (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Steam the potato in a pot or microwave in 7-minute increments until very tender.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, purée the potato until smooth, with no lumps remaining. Add the milk, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Blend well. Set aside.
- In a heavy dry pan, cook the onion and carrot over medium heat until the onion is translucent. If the ingredients begin to stick, add water, a few tablespoons at a time.
- Add the garlic, salt, and tempeh to the onion, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste, wine, rosemary, and thyme, and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the corn and peas.
- Spread the vegetable mixture into the bottom of a medium-size casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes, or until the potatoes begin to brown.
- Serve with a glass of red wine beside a warm fire.
NUTRITION (1/5 recipe/500g): Calories 450, Calories from Fat 70, Total Fat 8g, Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 540mg, Total Carbohydrate 74g, Dietary Fiber 12g, Sugars 9g, Protein 19g