One of my occasional “cheats” used to be the deep-fried version of this appetizing appetizer. No more cheating necessary.
- 1 pound calamari tubes, cleaned and cut into ¾-inch rings
- ½ cup white flour, whole-wheat flour, or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1½ cups whole-wheat or gluten-free breadcrumbs (or 5 to 6 slices whole-grain toast ground in a blender)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 cup marinara sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Pat the calamari rings dry with a paper towel.
- Place the flour in a medium zip-top bag.
- In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the milk into a second small bowl.
- Put the calamari rings into the bag of flour and shake to coat.
- Remove the rings, one at a time, and dip into the milk, then the breadcrumb mixture, making sure they are thoroughly coated.
- Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they’re cooked through.
- Serve with lemon wedges, plus warm marinara sauce for dunking, if desired.
Copyright 2016 - Seagan Eating - www.seaganeating.com