I reluctantly (and fearfully) shared my test batch of this recipe with my dear Mexican friend, Maresa. The next day she told me her family was happy to take any of my experiments. Phew!
- 2 cups fresh cauliflower florets
- One 12-ounce box silken light tofu, drained
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- One 15-ounce jar enchilada or taco sauce (oil-free)
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 12 small (6-inch) corn tortillas
- One 12-ounce can refried beans (oil-free)
- One 8-ounce package finely chopped tempeh (optional)
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese (optional; we prefer Daiya)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 475°.
- Steam the cauliflower in a pot or a microwave oven in 5-minute increments until tender.
- With a food processor, blender, or immersion blender, purée the cauliflower, tofu, salt, and nutritional yeast.
- In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, layer half the sauce, half the tomatoes, 6 tortillas, half the beans, half the cauliflower mixture, and half the tempeh. Repeat with the remaining half and top with cheese, if desired.
- Bake, covered, for 35 minutes.
- Top with shredded crisp lettuce to serve.
- Option: Eliminate the tortillas from the casserole and serve as a delicious party dip with tortillas.
NUTRITION (1/5 recipe/462g, with tempeh and cheese): Calories 410, Calories from Fat 120, Total Fat 13g, Saturated Fat 4.5g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 2090mg, Carbohydrate 54g, Dietary Fiber 12g, Sugars 10g, Protein 23g