We call it ABC soup, and the basics never tasted so mind-blowingly delicious.
| By guest chef Leslie Whalen |
When the box of random produce arrived at my tiny Key West kitchen, I had to do something with these gorgeous fruits and vegetables—and quick. With no room for storage (did I mention tiny kitchen?), I put on my chef hat and came up with this ABC soup.
Even in the tropical heat and humidity of Key West, my husband and I devoured this fragrant, creamy bisque and enjoyed leftovers for days to come.
Generously season your cut-up fruit and vegetables, bake for 35 to 40 minutes until tender, and toss it all in a pot of vegetable stock.
Whip out your immersion blender, spice it up a little more if you’d like, blend that baby till smooth, and savor every spoonful!
Healthy ABC (Apple, Butternut Squash, Carrot) Soup
- Immersion Blender
- Stock Pot
- Baking Sheet
- Vegetable Peeler
- 6 medium apples peeled and sliced
- 3 giant juicing carrots peeled or scrubbed well
- 1 extra large sweet onion cut into 8 large pieces
- 3 medium butternut squash cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 2-4 cups vegetable stock (depending on desired thickness), warmed
- 1 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp red curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (optional)
Recommended for extra flavor pow:
- ground nutmeg or mace
- ground cloves
- Your Choice of Bread
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Prep each ingredient with a little spice. If you use olive oil, it will help to caramelize and give a rich, smoky-sweet flavor to the ingredients. For a lighter touch, use vegetable stock or even apple or orange juice to paint on the ingredients so your spices will stick.
- Sprinkle and toss:· Apples with cinnamon· Carrots with nutmeg or mace and ground cloves· Onions with sea salt and white pepper· Butternut squash (meat side only) with coarse sea salt and white pepper; place meat-side-down on the baking sheet.
- Roast all ingredients on a baking sheet for 35 to 45 minutes or until your ABCs are fork tender. (The fork should pierce each item easily.)
- Remove ingredients from the oven.
- When you can handle the heat, remove the meat from the butternut squash. Set aside.
- Prepare your base in a stock pot:· Add yellow and red curry, turmeric, and pepper to bottom of pot andheat up. If you use vegan butter, toss in two tablespoons here to cook thespices.· Add a cup of vegetable stock and mix well.
- Toss in the roasted vegetables.
- While using an immersion blender to cream the vegetables, slowly add remaining vegetable stock, a half cup of stock at a time until the soup becomes thick and creamy.
- Taste and add more of any or all of the spices—nutmeg and cloves are the trick flavors! If you like, stir the soup with a large sprig of rosemary to add that wonderful essence.
- Serve hot with love and a fantastic piece of bread.
Leslie Whalen is a Key West-based middle-school reading teacher by day, kitchen sorceress by night. Give her just about any ingredient combo, and she’ll turn it into something magical.
Photos by TK. ©2020