Want a super-simple recipe for dinner tonight? Or an impressive dish that will knock the socks off your houseguests who are arriving this weekend? Try Amy’s rich Shrimp Bisque recipe. You (and your fellow diners) will never miss the heavy cream part.
Note: I am allergic to shrimp so have made this with wild Alaskan salmon. You can also substitute lobster or crab.
Creamy Shrimp Bisque
- Blender or Food Processor
- Sauté Pan or Heavy Frying Pan
- 1 ½ cups cashews raw
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 2 cups fish or vegetable stocks
- 1 ½ lbs medium raw domestic shrimp peeled and deveined
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ tsp cayenne pepper
- ⅔ cup sweet sherry
- In a blender or food processor, puree the cashews and water until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a heavy, dry pan, sauté the onion, carrot, and celery over medium heat until the carrot is tender. If the ingredients begin to stick, add water, 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Add the stock, shrimp, salt, and cayenne pepper to the pan, and heat until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Pour the entire mixture into a blender or food processor and puree with the cashew cream until smooth.
- Poor the mixture back in the pan, add the sherry, and heat through.
We’d love to hear how you liked this recipe! If you love it, Please share with us in the comments section!