| By Lisa McComsey |
So you’ve eliminated cream and other dairy products from your diet and think you’ll never enjoy that rich, decadent texture again.
Cashew cream to the rescue!
This wondrous stuff takes five minutes to make and can be used in so many ways. Here are just a few options:
- Use instead of whipped cream on non-dairy desserts
- Replace dairy cream with cashew cream in soups and bisques
- Flavor it up with a few spices and/or onion/garlic powder and serve as a dip for chips and raw vegetables
- Dress your grain bowls and roasted veggies with a few drizzles
- Slather it on toast instead of butter or use instead of mayonnaise in wraps and sandwiches
- Combine with boiled potatoes for luscious mashed potatoes
- Thicken your morning smoothie with a nutritious boost
- Instead of sour cream, add a dollop to chili, black bean soup, or other spicy dish
- Stir into warm oatmeal for a decadent morning treat
Basic Cashew Cream
- Food processor or Blender
- 1 cup cashews raw
- Puree mixture in food processor or blender until texture is completely smooth
- Pour 1 tbsp of cream into each section of an ice cube tray and freeze. Or freeze ¼ cup portions in small plastic resealable bags.
- Once cubes are frozen, put them in a plastic zip bag in the freezer.
Photos by TK. ©2020