Every holiday, I would make my kids and friends matzo ball soup. My vegan husband and I would enviously watch as they moaned with pleasure. Well, step aside, my loved ones, and share some of those fluffy dumplings with us.
- - 2 quarts vegetable stock (I prefer water mixed with “vegan chicken-less” bouillon cubes)
- - 1 cup diced onion
- - ½ cup diced carrot
- - ½ cup diced celery
- Matzo Balls
- - ½ cup firm silken light tofu, drained
- - ½ cup matzo meal
- - 1 teaspoon salt
- - 3 tablespoons water
- For the soup, In a large pot, add the stock, onion, carrot, and celery, and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- For the Matzo Balls, with a food processor, blender, or immersion blender, purée the tofu until smooth. Stir in the matzo meal, salt, and water. Transfer to a small bowl and cover tightly. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- With wet hands, form the matzo ball mixture into 1-inch balls.
- Carefully drop the balls into the simmering soup. Cover and cook for 30 minutes without lifting the lid.
- Serve immediately, or remove the balls from the soup until ready to serve.
NUTRITION (1 serving/574g): Calories 130, Calories from Fat 0, Total Fat 0g, Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 1020mg, Total Carbohydrate 25g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 9g, Protein 8g