I try to avoid “fake meat” products. However, for this quick, easy, and delicious dish, I make an exception.
- 1 pound whole-wheat or gluten-free pasta of choice
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium green or red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1½ cups dry sweet vermouth or sherry
- 1 package (4 sausages) Field Roast® Smoked Apple Sage Sausage, cut into ½-inch coins
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Cook the pasta 2 minutes less than called for in the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a heavy dry pan, sauté the onion and pepper over medium heat until the onion is translucent. If the ingredients begin to stick, add vermouth, a few tablespoons at a time.
- Add the sausage to the pan and cook for 5 more minutes. Add the vermouth, salt, and pepper to the pan. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the pasta to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy with a glass of Chianti.
NUTRITION (1 serving/270g): Calories 510, Calories from Fat 80, Total Fat 9g, Saturated Fat 0.5g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 950mg, Total Carbohydrate 76g, Dietary Fiber 12g, Sugars 8g, Protein 28g