Nobody makes paella like my dad. However, this way-healthier version may rival his without taking up half your day.
- 3 cups short-grain brown rice
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 red pepper, seeded, cored, and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tubes calamari, minced
- 1½ to 2 cups fish or vegetable stock
- One (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained or undrained (more tomato flavor)
- ½ teaspoon saffron, soaked in 2 tablespoon hot water to bloom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound medium raw domestic shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ pound mussels in shells (soaked to clean and debearded)
- ½ pound clams
- A large handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the rice and water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 10 minutes. Drain excess water.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy dry pan, sauté the onion, pepper, garlic, and calamari over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. If the ingredients begin to stick, add water, a few tablespoons at a time.
- Pour ½ cup of stock into the onion mixture. Add the rice. Add the tomatoes, saffron mixture, salt, paprika, cayenne, and remaining stock, ½ cup at a time. If the stock runs out, add water, ½ cup at a time (if needed). Stir frequently until the rice is al dente.
- Add the shrimp, mussels, and clams to the mixture. Stir to blend in the fish. Cover and cook for 10 more minutes, or until the fish is done (the clams and mussels will open when done).
- Garnish with parsley. Enjoy with friends and a glass (or two) of sangria.
NUTRITION (1/7 recipe /579g): Calories 420, Calories from Fat 35, Total Fat 4g, Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 110mg, Sodium 940mg, Total Carbohydrate 77g, Dietary Fiber 7g, Sugars 7g, Protein 23g