My first kitchen assistant, the talented Rebecca, was a baker at heart who somewhat lacked in onion-chopping skills. She more than made up for it in her genius baking though, and went on to launch the spectacular vegan bakery, Vegan Sweet Tooth. These bars thrilled my energy-craving, sweets-loving clients.
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips or raisins
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ? teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or apple juice
- ¾ cup white whole-wheat flour, or whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients together.
- Pour the mixture into a 9-inch-square baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool, then cut into 9 squares. Store in an airtight container.
- Pack a bar for your hike or afternoon snack.
NUTRITION (1 bar/80g): Calories 190, Calories from Fat 70, Total Fat 8g, Saturated Fat 2.5g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 270mg, Total Carbohydrate 27g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 10g, Protein 5g