Who doesn’t love anything called “Parmesan”? Well, after years of painful avoidance, our old friend is back and healthier than ever!
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed or flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup whole-wheat or gluten-free breadcrumbs (or 4 slices of whole-grain toast ground in a blender)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 Pacific halibut steaks, about 4 ounces each
- ¾ cup marinara or tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- In a shallow medium bowl, combine the flaxseed and water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, salt, thyme, basil, and pepper.
- Dunk the fish in the flax mixture then in the breadcrumbs, using your hands to press the mixture firmly onto the fish.
- Place the fish skin-side down on a foil-lined baking sheet and cook for 8 minutes.
- Top each piece with the sauce and sprinkle with nutritional yeast. Continue to heat for 8 more minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
- Serve it the classic way with a side of whole-wheat pasta marinara.
NUTRITION (1 serving/193g): Calories 230, Calories from Fat 40, Total Fat 4g, Saturated Fat 0.5g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 650mg, Total Carbohydrate 19g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 3g, Protein 29g