Here’s an easy idea for a make-ahead brunch dish. The dash of nutmeg brings out the spinach flavor. Thanks to my amazing recipe tester, Meg, for this perfect enhancement.
- 2 large whole-wheat tortillas, cut in half
- ¾ cup diced onion
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms of choice
- One (12-ounce) package extra-firm silken tofu, drained
- ¼ cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line a glass pie pan with the tortillas to cover the bottom and sides. Using a fork, poke several holes in each tortilla. Bake for 12 minutes and set aside.
- In a heavy dry saucepan, sauté the onion over medium heat until it starts to brown. If the onion begins to stick, add water, a few tablespoons at a time.
- Add the spinach and mushrooms and cook until the spinach wilts.
- With a food processor, blender, or immersion blender, purée the tofu, milk, salt, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, pepper, and nutmeg until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the tofu mixture with the onion-spinach mixture.
- Pour into the tortilla crust and bake, uncovered, for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven to let set. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Copyright 2016 - Seagan Eating - www.seaganeating.com